Even when it isn’t dead-of-winter-freezing or desert-level dry, we all want our skin just a little softer, more supple, and plumped with moisture. Winter’s low humidity and harsh conditions can do a number on your skin, leaving it flaky, itchy, and dry as a bone. Creating a routine that builds in hydration is the way to battle the cycle of persistent dry spots that you then try to treat as they arise. Instead, keep your skin fully hydrated and healthy with a daily routine, so the skin’s moisture barrier remains intact all year round. If you don’t want to looks like a desert tortoise, take a few precautionary measures.
DRY SKIN REMEDIES
- As soon as you get out of the shower or tub, while your skin is still damp, slather on the moisturizing lotion.
- Choose a lotion brand that has petroleum jelly or lanolin high on the ingredients list.
- Don’t go outside in any season without using SPF of at least 15 on your face and hands.
- Try adding lemon juice or vinegar to your bathwater. Soap, being highly alkaline, may make your skin feel itchy.
- To soften dry skin, add 1 cup powdered milk to your bath. (It worked for Cleopatra, supposedly.)
- Avoid steaming hot water or lengthy immersions, which will strip your skin of it’s natural oils. Water counter-intuitively dries out your skin, particularly hot water, which is why dermatologists always recommend (wildly unappealing, especially in winter) tepid showers and baths; they also advise shorter, less-frequent ones.
- The way to at least partially counteract the drying effects of blissfully warm showers and baths is to get oils and moisturizers onto your skin while you’re still in them. Bath oils and bath salts can make an enormous difference.
- Wash gently. Vigorous scrubbing can further irritate sensitive skin.
- Forgo skin products that contain alcohol, which can exacerbate drying.
Luckily, there are plenty of ways to tackle this skin care concern from head to toe. If you are looking for a product to help you combat dry skin, I highly recommend our Goat’s Milk Lotion we carry in the store! It is closest to human skin and is easily absorbed. You won’t be disappointed in the price either! Come in and try some. We’d love to know what you think about it!
I hope you find these remedies helpful!
Well, Hello, my friends!
Here I am…. shopping again! I just finished over 50 Christmas trees this year, and we are already shopping and designing next year’s Christmas surprises! CRAZY, I KNOW, BUT NECESSARY! It is soooo much work and OH SO FUN!
We shop all over for the unique and plan each idea with collaboration of hundreds of vendors to ensure every tree is unique and special in theme, down to every last detail. Sometimes our feet and bodies tell us the idea we are working on is good enough and done, but we just can’t help ourselves… we have to see it all! WHAT IF there is one last item out there that just puts it right over the top to make it magical? That is our drive! Not only with Christmas trees, but in all of our shopping adventures. We can’t stop until we know we’ve seen it all!
We are also checking out the latest in lighting, art, new colors, new accessories, bedding, pillows, rugs, furniture, and anything and everything you need to make your home and space your very own. We love to look for unique and Designer Blvd-worthy items that will make our customers smile! It is important to us that we handpick our items and plan the flow of arrival, choosing themes and colors so they will come alive for you, our friends and customers!
I want to make sure every minute is well-spent… 16 hours a day… for a week straight… shopping right through meals. One thing is certain, at Designer Blvd, we only want to bring you THE BEST of the best! Over the upcoming months, we are excited to see the new and fun items start rolling in! They already started coming in today! Please drop by for a visit to Designer Blvd! We would love you to see our work and all the new looks. Come see us! It is a destination, and we hope an experience you will want to come back for, time and again. We stay very busy, busy and happy because our inventory is always changing, and there is always something new and different arriving daily.
I am now heading out for fashion shopping! Let the fun begin! I hope my feet are ready!